Apr 4, 2012

Fly Tying

I am the worst at tying flies. Lets start with that. The other day Ben helped me via text to tie this egg sucking leech. This is the easiest fly to tie ever, but it still took me 30 minutes to tie the first one. This is the quality fly I have ever tied. Now this is not something to brag about. Like I said, easiest fly to tie ever. I am still proud and will post it on here just in case there is anyone else out there struggling to tie flies and needs to know that there is hope for those of us who's hands seem to botch every fly they attempt.


Put orange hot bead on size 6 streamer hook.


Lay thread base down and then wrap hook shank with desired amount of lead wire for additional weight.


Tie on black rabbit hair zonker, tail the length of the shank. You can also add some flash to the tail at this point. I did on 4 of my half dozen I tied up.


Advance your thread to the bead head then wrap the zonker around the hook shank while pulling back the hair so you don't wrap hair fibers under.When you reach the bead head with the rabbit fur give the hair 8-10 wraps to hold it down then whip finish and done.


I know these are nothing to brag about but I am very excited that I did well. I tied half a dozen and it got me so stoked to try something new since I finally succeeded.


Here are some example of my previous flies just so you get an I idea of how bad I really am. Check out the yellow body wrapping on this baby.


Here is the Daniel Special. "Head crowding the eye so much it takes a wire tippet to poke through the eye."


Here are my warm water flies and streamer boxes. Not a lot of stuff but working on tying up many more.

1 comments:

Ben said...

Way to go man! Keep it up and you will get pretty good. When you have a good vise you will want to tie more. I don't know why that is but it seems to be true for most people I know.

Post a Comment